Wireless Network Configuration for Windows 7
Eaglesecure Wireless Network Instructions Only
Please refer to the configuration instructions below to take advantage of the new wireless network. Important: Please note that only network cards supporting 802.11a/n will be able to connect to eaglesecure at this time.
If you have any questions about the new wireless network or need assistance connecting to the new network, please contact the IT Help Desk at 202-885-2550, helpdesk, or AskAmericanUHelp.
PROTECTING YOUR CONNECTION
Always check for the gold lock or "https" in the address field before transmitting your password or PIN over the network. You can also use AU’s VPN service.
When using the eaglesecure network, remember you must comply with the Computer Use and Copyright Policy and the other Information Technology Security Policies.
CONNECTING TO THE WIRELESS NETWORK
Windows 7 supports wireless networking without the need for additional software. Installing your wireless card on your computer consists of two main steps, installing your wireless card and configuring your wireless card for AU’s wireless network. Most laptops purchased within the last three years will have wireless networking already built-in. Desktop computers can easily have a wireless card installed and may sometimes arrive with one.
AU’s eaglesecure wireless network currently requires an 802.11a/n compliant wireless network card. The network card/adapter must be correctly configured in order to participate in AU’s eaglesecure wireless network.
Simply turn on your computer and insert your external wirelesss network card if it is not already built-in. Some laptops with internal wireless adapters have mechanical switches or special keys on the keyboard that can toggle the wireless adapter on and off. Consult your laptop’s documentation to make sure the wireless (WiFi) adapter is enabled if you have trouble completing the steps below.
- Click on the START button.
- Select CONTROL PANEL from the Start menu. Click on NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER and then click the MANAGE WIRELESS NETWORKS link on the left.
- Click ADD on the MANAGE WIRELESS NETWORKS screen.
- On the next screen, choose MANUALLY CREATE A NETWORK PROFILE.
- You should now see a screen where you can manually enter network settings. Enter eaglesecure as the NETWORK NAME,WPA2-ENTERPRISE as the SECURITY TYPE, and AES as theENCRYPTION TYPE. Check both of the checkboxes as displayed below and click NEXT.
- On the next screen, click on CHANGE CONNECTION SETTINGS.
- Click on the SECURITY tab. Choose MICROSOFT: PROTECTED EAP (PEAP) as the NETWORK AUTHENTICATION METHOD. Then, click the SETTINGS button.
- Check the VALIDATE SERVER CERTIFICATE checkbox. Scroll through the TRUSTED ROOT CERTIFICATE AUTHORITIES list and check all boxes for GLOBALSIGN ROOT CA.
- Select SECURED PASSWORD (EAP-MSCHAP V2) from theAUTHENTICATION METHOD drop-down menu, if it is not selected already. Then, click the CONFIGURE button.
- Uncheck the checkbox on the EAP MSCHAPV2 window as shown below. Click OK three times, then click CLOSE.
- Click on the ADDITIONAL INFORMATION IS NEEDED TO CONNECT EAGLESECURE bubble message that appears at the bottom right of your screen.
- The WINDOWS SECURITY screen will then appear as shown below.
- Enter your my.american.edu USER NAME and PASSWORD in the spaces provided and click OK.
- Click CONNECT if you see a WINDOWS SECURITY ALERT pop up window. You should now be connected to eaglesecure.
For further assistance, please contact the IT Help Desk at 202-885-2550,helpdesk, or AskAmericanUHelp.